Post subject: Has anyone read Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk?
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:05 pm 

But this is an incredibly messed up book, I think most of the people on Mondo would love it. Let me share my own review from like a year back:

[quote]Even though this book came out in 2005, I think this is a really relevant time to talk about it, and I’m not just saying that because I didn’t read it until now. The news is full of memoir authors who embellished their life story with sensational details such as the holocaust survivor raised by wolves or the white gangsta from LA. Still up until the moment in which they are outed by the press we believe their every word and detail. How could we be so cynical as to doubt the story of a victim? Even in this context I find it impossible to discredit the story of that boy soldier who spent a year in the hell of ethnic cleansing, not three years as he claimed in his book. Still many of these authors lack the sort of talent that makes for a compelling read, so it’s really just the assumption that it is all true that keeps us going.

Haunted on the other hand is an extremely well written novel of short stories strung along by a central narrative about awful writers trying to cash in on their pain and misery. They have all been lured to a writers retreat for three months of uninterrupted isolation from outside distractions. Soon they understand that their host intends to keep them committed to their work, meaning they cannot leave until the three months have elapsed. Realizing they are all being held hostage and that this is a highly marketable situation they all pitch in to make their living conditions as miserable as possible, just to have more details to share with the evening news and screen writers once they are finally rescued. By sabotaging the food, plumbing, and heating and blaming their host they end up with a tragic story worthy of a movie, but of course it is entirely fabricated. Meanwhile to entertain each other they tell stories up on a stage, usually preceded by a bit of freeform poetry. These 23 stories make up the bulk of the novel and are much more entertaining than the cartoony and heavy handed main plot.

The first story sets the tone marvelously with its casual perversion, wealth of dark humor and massively shocking and disgusting punch line. As horrifying as this story is at the same time it is one of the best short stories I’ve read in years and certainly the one that’s affected me the most. People who have read the book know what I’m talking about, a story so shocking that large groups of people fainted during readings at auditoriums. Therefore I won’t say a word about it, so that the reader can be as surprised as I was. Overall this book is very much about surprises, about strange and funny twists leaping out and forcing us to laugh at the worse things that humanity has to offer. No taboo is left unexplored, but even horrible subjects such as cannibalism and pedophilia are turned into entertaining social commentary when presented by Chuck Palahniuk’s agile prose.

The rest of the stories play out like a cross between American Psycho and the Twilight Zone, mixing pop culture and ultra violence with absurd “what ifâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:05 am 

Nice review. It's the best Palahniuk book I've read, with exactly the right amount of sensational and substance, and it's entertaining as hell in a twisted sort of a way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:32 am 

I really loved this book. I read it quite some time ago. Might I'll pull it off the shelf and reread it. I've read all of his books so far except "Rant" which I had a hard time getting into and haven't tried again in a while...

You can also check out my blog "In Nervous Convulsion" at http://heavenztrash.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:14 pm 

The short story Guts that's part of Haunted - is without doubt one of the most fucked up things ever written. And it was originally published in Playboy! I love the idea of some spotty teen with his trousers around his ankles coming across and reading that story. I would expect a very severe loss of erectile function.

I'm a bit up and down with Palahnuick, his best work (for my money Survivor) is exceptional, but he can also leave me completely cold (that one about the disfigured model, can't remember the title, something Monsters, couldn't finish it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:31 pm 

I kind ot liked Invisible Monsters but his most recent (Snuff) was just mediocre, I did a review of it as well but it is barely worth posting, I'll just drop my conclusion:

Quote:
Then there's the fact that for such a short novel it feels drawn out in parts, as though it was conceived as a short story but ended up having to bulk up and earn Chuck some cash without the help of additional short stories. In that sense I feel that Snuff is a bit of an underdog, a runt that is doomed to be reviewed as the least of this authors works. And I guess that makes me like it a little more, because like I said it is really not a bad book, just far from his best.

MAXRENN: Yeah, that would make a great story itself... after finishing, feeling vulnerable and a little embarrased, here is the most disgusting collection of masturbatoin urban legends ever... I listened to Haunted on mp3 (I'm an audible suscriber) at work and during the "climax" of guts I got faint and lightheaded, I probably went all pale too. Very powerful yet he writes it in a highly detailed, almost pretty way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:38 pm 

lugaru wrote:
MAXRENN: Yeah, that would make a great story itself... after finishing, feeling vulnerable and a little embarrased, here is the most disgusting collection of masturbatoin urban legends ever... I listened to Haunted on mp3 (I'm an audible suscriber) at work and during the "climax" of guts I got faint and lightheaded, I probably went all pale too. Very powerful yet he writes it in a highly detailed, almost pretty way.

Ugh, he really makes you feel it. Apparently Palahnuik loves reading that one at book signings and regularly has audience members faint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:17 am 

I adore David Carradine but his death reminded me of what is written in Guts about parents disguising an onanist incident in a suicide to make it look better. That's the first thing which came through my mind when I learnt Carradine's death. Then, I put Circle of iron in my DVD player as well as his Bergman film and I was saddened for cinema.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:52 am 

couldn't read further than 'guts'...it was too disgusting.

http://huxathon.blogspot.com/

bootlegs,etc...
www.youtube.com/MediaLoungeTV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:08 pm 

huxathon wrote:
couldn't read further than 'guts'...it was too disgusting.

If you read guts then you are done, that is pretty much the worse from the book (or his career) and from there on there are some really nasty things (losing your lips to frostbite, child sex dolls, pools of backed up sewage) but in part you are already desensitized and ready for other bad stuff.

Also a lot of stories are sleazy but ultimately clever, cute and funny. In particular there is one about a hippy masseuse who is taught how to give a man an orgasm with a foot rub and becomes a high class call girl, there are stories about ultra wealthy pretending to be homeless and about strange Marlyin Munroe murder/suicide conspiracies. Particularly great are stories about the apocalypse, bigfoot, a woman carrying a mysterious disiease and a knife endorsing serial killer which I remember as being pretty much pg-13 or even pg.

I do slightly recomend skipping the narrative between stories though, it is not bad but the book has so many stories that they had to draw out the main narrative endlessly. Imagine a movie about kids telling stories around a campfire and by the time they are done they are all grown up.

EDIT: Went to wikipedia and looked at the stories... with some lose standards I would say that only 7 or 8 are potentially nasty out of 19.

Post subject: Re: Has anyone read Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk?
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:04 pm 

I haven't read it yet but i will surely read it when ever i free..